Scientific Support for IPBES Knowledge Generation
The recently created Intergovernmental Platform for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) is mandated to mobilise international experts to assess the trends, status and future trajectories of biodiversity and ecosytem services based on existing knowledge. The first assessments are already underway, and further assessments a planned for the near future.
Aims of the Activity
The objectives of the activity are to:
1) build and coordinate tasks of a community of practice that can support IPBES activities,
2) identify gaps in knowledge in collaboration with IPBES task forces, and
3) stimulate the community to find funding to fill those gaps.
The work and activities of this initiative are closely coordinated with the IPBES Bureau and Multidisciplinary Expert Panel (MEP) and scientists engaged in IPBES activities. The activity collaborates with the IPBES task force on Data and Knowledge, and will link to other task forces once they are established. The activity will also collaborate with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), in order to better integrate the scientific work for the Conventions, as well as other Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs).
A first workshop will be held in April/May 2015, aimed at
1) connecting to the broader scientific community, and
2) identification of knowledge gaps and knowledge needs for IPBES work