The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) in Bilbao, Spain, is seeking a one-year postdoctoral researcher to work on a project called Nurturing a Shift towards Equitable Valuation of Nature in the Anthropocene (EQUIVAL). EQUIVAL is one of five projects funded in the first round of the Future Earth Program for Early-stage Grants Advancing Sustainability Science (PEGASuS) – a grants programme that builds research teams that cross disciplines and borders. The EQUIVAL project explores “relationships between equitable valuation of nature and effective environmental governance in biodiversity hotspots in the Global South.”
The deadline for applications is 1 November 2017. For more information on this position and how to apply, see the official announcement here.
The postdoctoral research fellow will work under the supervision of Professor Unai Pascual at BC3 and Professor Patty Balvanera at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM). He or she will collaborate with the EQUIVAL team to examine how humanity can value nature in an equitable manner – taking into account the diverse ways that people prize their relationships with natural environments. EQUIVAL will work toward this goal by designing its research in partnership with a range of experts outside of academia, including local communities and governments in the Global South. The project draws on the work of Future Earth’s global research projects ecoSERVICES and the Programme on Ecosystem Change and Society (PECS).
According to the announcement, the postdoctoral research fellow will:
1. Plan and implement research with other team members:
- Leading a state of the art review/synthesis of the literature on equity and valuation.
- Developing and maintaining a hub of community of practice made up of experts in fields associated with valuation and environmental governance instruments.
- Organizing and supporting the coordination of project meeting and workshops.
- Liaise with project partners to coordinate interaction.
- Supporting the elaboration of project proposals.
2. Publish high-impact, peer-reviewed research in international scientific journals.
3. Contribute to dynamic research teams at the Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) and Institute for Ecosystem and Sustainability Research (UNAM).