Future Earth’s hub in Montreal is seeking an intern in information technology. The intern will, among other tasks, help to assess Future Earth’s current information technology tools and needs and will develop new tools to help the programme meet its mission. Applicants must be a student or recent graduate in areas of study related to information technology, management or business.
The position will begin in the middle to end of August 2017 and will last for six months. The deadline for applications is 23 August.
To learn more about this position and how to apply, see the full announcement below:
Future Earth is a major international research programme for global sustainability. We provide international facilitation and coordination of research around the greatest challenges facing humanity – and engage policy, business and the public in the solutions to these challenges. Our work stretches from climate change and biodiversity to human health and transformation of societies. We work with many of the world’s leading experts on global Grand Challenges. This international programme was established by the Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability, which includes the following international organisations: The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), UN Environment Programme (UNEP), UN University, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), International Council for Science (ICSU), International Social Science Council (ISSC) and the Belmont Forum. The Future Earth Secretariat is distributed across five hubs located in Stockholm, Tokyo, Colorado, Montreal and Paris.
Future Earth is seeking an Information Technology (IT) Intern to support the daily operations of the Future Earth Secretariat and interaction with the Future Earth community.
The IT Intern will work in support of the Head of Coordination in Montreal and the IT Lead in Colorado. He or she will report directly to the Head of Coordination. The tasks are in support of:
- Coordination of the global hubs and other entities of Future Earth (e.g. regional centres, national committees, Knowledge-Action Networks, Governing Council, Advisory Committees, Global Research Projects)
- Review of current IT tools and adjustments
- Assessment of organisational workflows, business needs and IT requirements
- Review and selection of adequate project management, task tracking and decision-making tools to facilitate the efficiency and functioning of the globally distributed Secretariat of Future Earth
- Development and adjustment of selected IT tools considering Secretariat needs
- Development of guidelines to use IT tools and training of Secretariat
- Potential to expand tasks as the role develops
Main functions and approximate time allotment:
- Information Technology software research, configuration, testing and implementation (70% of time)
- Coordination support (15% of time)
- Administration Support (15% of time)
Qualifications and Key Competencies:
- Student or recent graduate in areas of study related to information technology, management or business
- Strong IT skill set is a must
- Programming skills are an asset
- Comfortable working with modern cloud based office software
- Must be detail-oriented, versatile with a diligent work ethic and a strong commitment
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with an international team are essential
- Excellent spoken and written English required; excellent spoken and written French is highly desired
- Ability to communicate across different media platforms
- At times, be available to work outside normal working hours (we are a global organisation and sometimes need to be available outside of normal working hours in order to collaborate with colleagues in other time zones)
Stipend: $1000 per month for 20 hours per week
Starting date: Middle to end of August
Duration: 6 months
Location: Future Earth Global Hub – Montreal, Suite 1020, 1250 Guy Street, H3H 2T4 Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Employer: Future Earth International