The Coordinator will work with the Head of Coordination on supporting the development and streamlining of processes to ensure operational excellence and providing coordination, and development support to specific projects, including liaising with local Quebec and Canadian partners and community as well as coordination support to local and global fundraising efforts.
Location: Montreal (Canada)
Start of contract : As soon as possible
Duration : 1 year contract, with possibility of extension.
The Future Earth initiative
Future Earth is the international platform for research, innovation and collaboration, working to accelerate transformations to a sustainable world. With offices all over the world, we harness the experience and reach of thousands of scientists and innovators from across the globe. This international initiative was developed under the auspices of the Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability, including the following international organizations: UNESCO, UNEP, UNU, WMO, ICSU, ISSC and the Belmont Forum.
Future Earth is served by a globally-distributed Secretariat that uniquely encompasses five Global Hubs (Boulder in Colorado, Montreal, Paris, Stockholm, Tokyo) connected through a dynamic, networked structure. The distributed model unites a diversity of perspectives, stakeholders and geographical locations. The Secretariat works through virtual teams that ensure that the diversity of perspectives and global reach are a daily reality. The Executive Director of Future Earth is based in Montreal.
Coordination is at the core of operations, ensuring that work is managed efficiently and effectively. It involves planning and implementing clear, efficient and adaptable processes, tools and procedures to ensure that the many elements that form Future Earth work together to deliver its role.
The incumbent will provide coordination (including IT), administrative, logistical, development support to the Head of Coordination, working collaboratively with the distributed operations team, Montreal Global Hub team and more broadly the Future Earth distributed Secretariat. The incumbent will report to the Head of Coordination (based in Montreal). The supervisor and incumbent recognize that the following list of roles, tasks and time allocations might be subject to change.
Support the development of effective and efficient operations system (35%) :
- Support in developing, streamlining, standardizing and maintaining processes (including IT tools) between global hubs and other Future Earth entities for effective program operations and decision making;
- Support the Head of Coordination in finalizing and implementing the revised governance of Future Earth
- Support in evaluating and identifying best practices to optimize internal communication amongst global hubs (and regional entities where relevant).
- Administrative and coordination (including logistics) support and document preparation for Future Earth calls and in-person meetings as needed;
- Working with other colleagues to plan and schedule statutory and ad-hoc meetings and conference calls, and organize relevant materials (agenda, notices, documents);
- Working with other colleagues to record minutes and help follow-up on action items;
- Other tasks as necessary.
- Potential to expand tasks as the role develops.
Support engagement and projects with local research community (35%):
- Provide coordination and development support to Future Earth projects with local community and funders as needed;
- Support in engagement and communication with Quebec and Canadian partners which includes developing a working knowledge (and map) of key Quebec and Canada contacts and projects.
Support local and global fundraising efforts (35%)
- Sort, unify and organize existing Future Earth databases on contacts and funders into one centralized resource to be used by all five Global hubs
- Continuously monitor and update the centralized database by adding activities/meetings/connections made by all global hubs.
- Undertake preliminary searches on funding opportunities for Montreal Hub primarily as well as other hubs.
- Support the Administration officers on liaison with new funders for the Montreal hub primarily and other hubs, including providing the necessary financial reporting.
Candidate qualifications and key competencies
- Excellent spoken and written English. Good working knowledge of French.
- Superior communication, organizational and interpersonal skills with ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently, plan and coordinate multiple processes with established deadlines and parameters
- Experience in initiating and coordinating new projects
- Experience with database systems and other IT communication tools
- Experience with administration of funds and
- Good relationship management skills
- Strong sense of confidentiality
- Sound judgment, tactful and sensitive to diverse cultures and constituents
- Availability to work outside normal working hours and to travel on occasion
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2 years of related work experience OR Master’s degree (or equivalent) in the field of management or sustainability
- Familiarity with international organizations and demonstrated interest in sustainability-related initiatives is an asset
- As the position is based in Montreal, the candidate requires a Work Permit for Quebec
Salary scale: 30-40K (dependent on experience)
Applicants to this position are requested to submit a curriculum vitae, together with a cover letter describing their interest in the position, and how their skills and experience would help them meet the requirements of the role. Please also include the name and contact details of two referees. Applications - in one combined PDF file, in English - should be sent via email with " Coordinator" in the subject line to email@example.com. Further information on Future Earth is available on www.futureearth.org.
There is no closing date for applications, we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.