Future Earth is a major international research programme for global sustainability. We provide international facilitation and coordination of research around the greatest challenges facing humanity – and engage policy experts, businesses and the public in the solutions to these challenges. Our work addresses issues ranging from climate change and biodiversity to human health and transformation of societies. We work with many of the world’s leading experts on global Grand Challenges. This international programme was established by the Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability including the following international organisations: UNESCO, UN Environment Programme (UNEP), UN University (UNU), World Meteorological Organization (WMO), International Council for Science (ICSU), International Social Science Council (ISSC), and the Belmont Forum. The Future Earth Global Hub Secretariat is distributed across five hubs located in Stockholm, Tokyo, Colorado, Montreal and Paris.
Future Earth is seeking an experienced Head of Advancement to develop its portfolio of major donors, including foundations, corporations and individuals. This is a unique opportunity to contribute impacting the way sustainability is understood and implemented in an international context.
The Head of Advancement will research and identify new donors, tailor communications and cultivate approaches; provide fundraising advice; and implement donor management and retention strategies. She/he will support the Future Earth Executive Team in advancement strategy, and will lead global fundraising vision, strategy and planning. She/he will work with the Executive Team to solicit large grants and sponsorships. She/he will receive administrative support. The Head of Advancement will be based in Montreal, Canada.
This role requires a self-starter and team-player able to work as part of a small, highly active global team. The individual should have a track-record of raising significant funds from high net-worth individuals and foundations, ideally with a focus on international conservation, development or humanitarian aid. The ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills, be diplomatic, trustworthy, of the highest integrity and possess sound judgment.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Identify target audiences and build appropriate marketing strategies to recruit, cultivate and retain donors and sponsors (high net worth individuals, foundations and corporations).
- As appropriate, identify, recruit and mobilise business and community leaders to serve as teams, volunteers and sponsors.
- Provide support for volunteers, participants and committees to increase current revenue.
- Support Future Earth Executive Team and, as needed, members of the Future Earth governing bodies in their fundraising activities.
- Work with the Communications Team, and other staff, as appropriate, to develop grant and gift proposals and provide appropriate reporting to donors.
- Collaborate with colleagues in all five hubs to design, develop, plan, oversee and evaluate donor/prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, gift closure and recognition.
Qualifications and Key Competencies
- Proven personal track record of fundraising success.
- The ideal candidate will have at least five years of experience in a fundraising role.
- Fundraising successes in the field of environment, science, international or overseas work is highly desired.
- Track record of successful development and implementation of short- and long-term fundraising objectives.
- Excellent prospect research skills and an ability to identify and tailor approaches to diverse sources of potential donors, with support from Future Earth’s international activities.
- Background in the field of environment or sustainability will be an asset.
- A skilled networker and negotiator able to adapt the message to varying audiences, communicate the varying environments in which Future Earth works and explain the wider context of Future Earth’s work.
- An ability to learn and communicate the issues fundamental to Future Earth’s work, both globally and in specific country contexts.
- Excellent writing skills and an ability to produce accurate copy to suit a variety of contexts.
- Experience in developing individual donor and grant proposals in line with donor requirements.
- Proactive and self-motivated with exceptional planning skills.
- Ability to prioritise and deliver on tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with fundraising databases.
- Available to regularly work outside of normal working hours.
- Available for extensive travel.
- Excellent spoken and written English required (English is the Future Earth working language). Being based in Montreal, excellent spoken and written French will be an asset.
Salary: Based on experience and a proven track record. Candidates should include their desired salary with their applications
Starting date: As soon as possible
Location: Future Earth Global Hub – Montreal, Suite 1020, 1250 Guy Street, H3H 2T4 Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Employer: Future Earth International
Applicants to this position are requested to submit a curriculum vitae, together with a cover letter, describing their interest in the position and how their skills and experience would help them meet the requirements of the role. Please also include the name and contact details of two referees.
Applications – in English and in one combined PDF file – should be sent via email with "Advancement Head-Montreal hub" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on Future Earth and this position, contact Dr. Anne-Hélène Prieur-Richard, Global Hub Director – Montreal (email: email@example.com; Phone: +1-514-848-2275; website: www.futureearth.org).