Future Earth opening: Director of Communications
Deadline for applications: Friday 14 October 2016. This position is based in Stockholm.
Future Earth is a major international research programme for global sustainability. We provide international coordination of research around the greatest challenges facing humanity – and engage policy, business and the public in the solutions to these challenges. Our work stretches from climate change and biodiversity to human health and transformation of societies. We work with many of the world’s leading experts on global Grand Challenges. The Future Earth Secretariat is distributed across five hubs located in Stockholm, Tokyo, Colorado, Montreal and Paris.
We are looking for an outstanding and agile director of communications to provide strong leadership and lead the development and execution of a compelling narrative on global sustainability that resonates across multiple audiences in science, policy and the media, and that supports the overall scientific strategy of the programme.
This is a unique opportunity to impact the way sustainability is understood and implemented in an international context defined by the critical UN frameworks signed in 2015 on sustainable development and climate change.
We are seeking a creative director of communications to lead our strategic communications team and work closely with the Future Earth directors to set and deliver our communications strategy.
The director of communications will collaboratively scope, plan and implement integrated communications projects across a variety of platforms and media. The successful applicant, who will be based in Stockholm but work across the five global hubs, will oversee a broad range of communications activities.
- Serve as international media liaison
- Develop communications strategies and systems across many international projects and global and regional offices.
- Manage communications staff in different hubs
- Coordinate major Future Earth international meetings and other events
- Produce an annual report and other publications
- Manage the communications budget
- Track engagement and measure impact
- Fundraise for communications projects
The successful candidate must:
- Have an excellent command of global sustainability research and policy issues
- Have 10+ years experience in relevant fields, with a strong track record in managing teams, developing and delivering strategy and providing leadership
- Have very strong writing and communications skills in English and either have – or be capable of quickly establishing – trusted relationships with journalists and influencers in the science, environmental and policy space. The candidate can convert complex scientific jargon into sharp prose people want to read.
- Be a strategic and creative thinker who can build and drive the development of communications projects across many international scientific projects and global and regional offices.
- Have experience in managing and mentoring international teams
- Have proven project management experience
- Have a strong interest and track record in digital strategy and be able to provide direction on social media
- Be a self-starter and a consummate collaborator, able to work independently while sharing information among teams in an effective and efficient manner
- Have a global orientation and be sensitive to and comfortable with diverse cultures
- Have strong diplomacy skills and the ability to juggle a complex workload to tight deadlines.
The new position expands our communications team. Our current director of communications Owen Gaffney, splits his time between Future Earth (40%) and the Stockholm Resilience Centre (60%). Owen will continue with Future Earth focusing on strategic communications and innovation (Future Earth Media Lab).
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send a CV and cover letter outlining the opportunities for co-designed, co-produced knowledge for global sustainability and setting out your vision for Future Earth communications to: email@example.com